Friday 22 April 2011

Hit and Miss

Hit and Miss

If I was to recollect my thoughts of what I did in February two years ago, I probably wouldn’t be able to. However, it would most likely be along the topics of boys and buying beautiful clothes, with money I don’t have.

Yet, I’m almost certain that the majority of us remember when musician Chris Brown physically abused Barbados beauty Rihanna in his car at the Grammy awards in 2009.

It’s one of those events (if you can call it that), which feels like it happened yesterday because of all the controversy which accompanied it; yet after two years it continues to shock me.

I see celebrities, with their extortionate amounts of money, in a class of their own; above and beyond the bourgeoisie. When celebrities have mishaps everyone is stunned and our eyes are glued to the TVs. Take Lindsey Lohan and Paris Hilton for example, they both got jail sentences, yet because they are ‘celebrities’ they were released soon after they were jailed. I can’t see that level of leniency happening to you or I.

Chris Brown was a nineteen year old lad, writing songs and producing them for the RnB music industry. He was popular with the ladies and had a firm male fan base too. He had a multitude of successful tracks and was on the way to breaking records at a young age. Reading the latest music gossip, it was rumoured that Rihanna and Chris Brown were an item. I can remember thinking to myself; this is the perfect couple, two gorgeous, talented people…surely a relationship ready to blossom?

Chris pleaded guilty of hitting out at Rihanna reportedly over a text he received. For his actions he only got 180 days of community service of litter picking.

In my mind this is not right for someone to physically hurt someone else, whether they’re famous or not and to get a lenient charge. The sentence must match the crime.

After receiving a two year imposed song ban, the controversy continues. Chris Brown brought out the song ‘Champion’ which lyrically suggests about the incident. What makes it worse for me is that he has been profiting from the sales of the record. How callous is that!

It could have been a lot worse, Rihanna could have been left facially scarred and in the music industry, appearance is everything. Her career could have failed there and then.

Women today of all ages admire the RnB sensation for her braveness, confidence and independence. The public won’t forget it, and I guarantee it will soon be in the ‘100 bad celebrity moments’.





No comments:

Post a Comment